Learning from the pros – this is probably the most inspiring way to educate and nurture the skills that you already possess. This concept is applicable to almost any field that needs learning. If you are trying to learn drumming, this same notion is a great way to learn.
Although practicing and reading the technicalities of drumming is an imperative part of learning, understanding the common traits among professional drummers can provide with tips to reach success.
This article will give you the 6 common traits among great drummers. Most of the traits are observable from the performance and the music of the great drummers of all time.
If you are a real drummer, you should be able to detect those traits quite easily. However, just for clarity, this article enlists them. You can examine this list to ensure that you are developing the traits any successful drummer should have.
1. Early birds – Any drummer should have a sense of urgency. This is especially true if you are a budding drum player. Regardless of the event that you will be attending, it is important to be early or at least, on time. This also holds even during practice sessions.
2. Diligence – It would take more than just talent to succeed in the field of learning how to play the drums. You need to be diligent enough to attend all of your practice sessions. Some great drummers are even practicing in their home after their practice sessions. Indeed, taking full responsibility of your own skill will pay in the future.
3. Creativity – All drummers should be considered artists. If you are planning to be one, you should start developing a great sense of appreciation for art. Composing beat patterns will indeed need creativity, so you should be able to articulate yourself freely using notes.
4. Eagerness – To succeed in a field like drumming, you would need an unending source of eagerness, the most important trait in the 6 common traits among great drummers. All of your idols today have grabbed every opportunity given to them to reach drum mastery. This is the reason why you should be eager enough to face every opportunity in reaching success.
5. Adaptability – Hand in hand with creativity, adaptability should also be a trait you should possess. Since most drummers can make sudden changes in the music they provide as dictated by the surrounding, it would be a very important trait. You should develop this characteristic as early as your beginner years.
6. Musically inclined – This trait seem to be the most obvious, but you should still develop it as a musician. Drummers use their set of ears to create masterpieces, and your goal to do the same. Keeping your mind sensitive to what is good beating will help you through composing your own solos.
The 6 common traits among great drummers listed above should not serve as a borderline. Every good drummer possesses more than just the six traits listed above. The question now lies on how you can become develop your own traits. Make it your goal to surpass the number of traits that you can enhance.
Would you like to gain access to an entire library of lessons taught by professional instructors at the comfort of your own home? Drumeo is the most complete database of tutorials ever to be created and will provide you with endless hours of fun.